Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 30, 2010

The Hollow (The Hollow #1) by Jessica Verday

Hummmmm... I have mixed feelings about this book. I do like it, but I don't love it. Not yet. I guess there are going to be at least two more books, which is good. I can sort out my feelings then, plus there are so many unanswered questions. I'll save that for the end of this review, for those people who haven't read it yet.

If anything, this book has great quality of writing. Jessica Verday's beautiful way of detailing every day things or emotions was unique. I think I've read a fair amount of books to know when an author has come up with a new way of describing heart-break or the simple motion of the wind blowing in the trees, or the land-scape... etc.

There were some slow parts for me though, however that was when Verday would add a small twist or interesting detail, which keep me wanting to read. I loved the idea of building a story around the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and the town. I'm ready to move there right now.

The writing quality in a book is important to me, but next to that, the characters are what make me read through anything if I love them enough. Unfortunately, for some reason I didn't connect to Abby and Caspian. That really sucks, because I want to. That's why I'm hoping that a foundation was started in this book and in the next, I will find a draw to them. I just can't quite put my finger on what was missing for me.

If you haven't read the book then don't read past this sentence:




First off, some of my unanswered questions. I really hope that Verday lets us find out why Kristen died? And, who D is? Plus, why can Abby see Caspian and the others, and why was Caspian drawn to the Hollow? Was it because of Abby? Also, what was so important about that day at the library, that Caspian was able to touch Abby, but not on other days?

Hummm, so many things to ponder. I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next book to be released.

Wasn't that part at the end totally heart-breaking, when Caspian said he didn't love Abby. I thought I was going to die myself. It wasn't until close to the end, where I did start to feel some connection between the characters, that's why I'm hoping it will develop more in the next books.

I've never read a book about ghost before, maybe that's where some of my mixed feelings come from. My usual venue is vampire, werewolves, or witches. Why not ghost too... Anyway, I'm so torn because I do want something more to happen between Abby and Caspian. Isn't that morbid and gross (not what you're thinking though), I'm talking about a love story... Besides, it is a book and anything can happen in books. Anything. Okay, I seriously need to change the subject or stop this review, before I totally embarrass myself more.

Anyhoo, I look forward to the next book and what is to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment